Infection Control: Advanced
- Define infection and relevant terminologies.
- Explain the chain of infection and describe the way infection control concepts are applied.
- Discuss standard precautions and transmission based precautions.
- Identify the personal protective equipment (PPE) for protection from exposure to potentially infectious material.
- Highlight the donning and removal of various PPE.
- Explain isolation precautions to stop the transmission of infections
- Discuss other infection control practices that affect patient care.
Environmental Hazard & Safety
- Define environmental safety, risk and hazard.
- Briefly discuss the historical background for environmental safety.
- Discuss the components comprised environmental safety.
- Describe hazard assessment, prevention and control strategies.
- Enlist types of environmental/workplace hazards.
- Discuss in detail all types of hazards along with preventive strategies.
- Describe hazardous material and waste management and also highlight related terms.
ECG Rhythm Analysis
- Describe the normal cardiac anatomy and physiology
- Explain normal electrical conduction through the heart.
- Describe the phases of conduction system
- Identify and relate waveforms to the cardiac cycle.
- Discuss the different lead placements and their purpose.
- Utilize a systematic process when approaching the interpretation of the ECG.
- Discuss normal and abnormal components on ECG.
- Interpret sinus, atrial, junctional and ventricular dysrhythmia on ECG and relate cause, significance, symptoms and treatment.
- Diagnose pacemaker malfunctions.
- To discuss the anatomy and physiology of respiratory system
- Explain the administration, indication, types and precautions related to oxygen therapy
- Describe tracheostomy, immediate and long term complications
- Discuss tracheostomy care including dressing and suctioning
- Evaluate the signs of emergency in trach patient and treatment of it
- Discuss the physiology of Ventilation and Oxygenation.
- Describe the different modes of ventilation.
- Evaluate the complications of Mechanical Ventilation.
- Discuss how to Troubleshoot alarms
- Briefly discuss structure of skin in conjunction with wound affected areas.
- Define wound and discuss its types briefly.
- Define terms such as acute wound, bur, pressure ulcer, infected wound, chronic wound, trauma wound, abrasion, laceration, puncture, avulsion and scars.
- Outline the goals of wound care.
- Enlist strategies for wound prevention.
- Describe important points regarding wound assessment.
- Classify wound as per level of tissue injury and other measures.
- Identify the three phases of wound healing.
- Discuss pressure ulcer, its contributing factors, stages , prevention strategies and management.
- List factors that hinder wound healing.
- Summarize the steps in caring for an acute wound.
- Identify the principles underlying the care of chronic wounds.
- Discuss steps for wound dressing change.
Drug Dosage Calculation
- Discuss briefly the need of drug dosage calculation for nurses, along with their role in medicating the patients.
- Enlist types of calculation used in nursing.
- Briefly review time abbreviation used for drug dosage.
- Discuss essential rules for drug dosage.
- Review metric conversion.
- Describe universal formula for calculation of drug dose and practice its implementation with examples.
- Highlight steps to calculate correct dose using drug strength and stated concentration.
- Discuss calculation step for duration of infusion.
Basic Trauma Management
- Review definitions related to basic trauma.
- Briefly discuss the epidemiology and magnitude of trauma and injuries.
- Highlight upon causes of injury.
- Describe the steps in trauma assessment and management
- Identify the Primary Survey and Secondary Survey
- Discuss the management of traumas on head, chest, abdomen, pelvis and extremities
- Discuss the assessment of burn and its management
- Discuss legal responsibilities related to trauma care.
- Define pain
- Discuss etiology of pain.
- Describe different classifications of pain.
- Review the pathophysiology of pain.
- Discuss goals of pain assessment.
- Emphasize upon approach for pain assessment.
- List and discuss various pain assessment scale.
- Review interventions for pain relief
- Understand the importance of controlling pain.
- Explain pharmacological and non-pharmacological management of pain.
- Define patient safety and patient safety goal.
- Describe the need for patient safety goals.
- Discuss international patient safety goals as per Joint Commission International (JCI).
- Explain each patient safety goal along with their measurable elements.
Central Sterile Supply Department- CME
- Define the concept and need of sterilization
- Explain the history of CSSD
- Describe the, purpose, benefits and role of CSSD
- Discuss the ideal physical structure and some functional areas of CSSD
- Summarize the processes necessary for effective equipment sterilization.
- Describe different methods of sterilization available
- Explain the proper way of loading and unloading
- Define the quality assurance test including mechanical, chemical and biological indicator
- Evaluate the need of trouble shooting of equipment.
Care of Patient on Dialysis
- Discuss the anatomy and physiology of renal system related to dialysis
- Explain the indications and types of dialysis
- Describe the mechanism, indication, complication, supportive treatment and care of patient on hemodialysis
- Define the access point for hemodialysis, includes AV fistula, AV graft and catheter
- Discuss in detail about the peritoneal dialysis, patient education and care related to it.
Catheter, Tube and Ostomy Care
- Discuss concept of urinary catheters
- Differentiate between different types of urinary catheters
- Explain indication, complications and care of patient with urinary catheter
- Explain the indication and complication of feeding tubes
- Differentiate between types of enteric tubes available.
- Discuss the nursing care related to patient on tube feeding
- Evaluate the methods of feeding
- Explain the concept of ostomy and its types
- Describe the indication, complication and nursing care of patient with ostomy
Diabetes Mellitus: Assessment and Management
- Discuss the anatomy and physiology of endocrine system
- Differentiate between type 1, type 2 diabetes and gestational diabetes
- Describe etiologic factors associated with diabetes
- Explain clinical manifestations of diabetes
- Explain different diagnostic tests
- Describe diabetic acute problems and complications
- Explain management strategies for diabetic patients
- Explain diabetic foot ulcer
- Evaluate risk factors for developing DFU
- Discuss signs and symptoms and relevant managements patients with diabetic foot ulcers
Geriatric Patient Care
- Discuss the history, myths, and demographic information related to geriatric population
- Explain in detail the concept of aging and aging theories
- Evaluate the physical changes related to aging
- Describe the goal and evaluation of elderly
- Define some of the common problems in old age
- Discuss the prevention related to old age problems
Pressure Ulcer Management
- Define pressure ulcer and discuss its causes
- Identify risk factors for developing pressure ulcer
- Describe assessment tool in predicting pressure ulcer risks
- Discuss different stages/classification of pressure ulcer
- Identify possible complications of pressure ulcer
- Identify treatment and management related to pressure ulcers
- Discuss measure in preventing pressure ulcer
Problem Solving, Decision, Making and Time Management Skills
- Discuss healthcare decision making process and frameworks
- Explain the challenges related to decision making in healthcare
- Evaluate the process, theories and strategies of time management
- Describe the approach for problem solving
- Explain the OODA 8 step approach for problem solving